Home Defense: Shotguns Can Stop Criminals in Their Tracks
How to Survive a Violent Home Invasion
Home invasions and home robberies are taking place more and more in the suburbs. Home invasions can end in death, hostage taking, beatings, and sometimes rape. Here are several tips for making it out alive.
How to Survive an Armed Robbery
Part of survival calls for learning tactics in alpine warfare. At some point there may be an enemy and he may be armed and you and your camp may be outnumbered. How do you win this battle without losing any of your guys?
Top 7 Reasons for Bugging Out from Economic Collapse or Catastrophic Disaster
Think you're safe out in the surburbs? Think again. A major disaster including a wave of homegrown terrorists with chemical bombs will make several regions dangerous places to live. If you live ANYWHERE nearby where winds can carry toxic smoke you better have a plan for bugging out.
Two rapes had also taken place in the last month in the area after late night break-ins.
One husband was stabbed in the back, even as he tried to turn the combination on his safe where his firearms were kept. His wife was raped. Then they slit her throat.
You made a decision a while back to forget the safe and to keep a loaded shotgun under your bed, within easy reach.
Shotguns are possibly the best gun for home defenseMany people use a pistol, but you'd have to pull a 9mm pistol trigger nine times to put the same kind of stopping power on an assailant as just one shotgun shell.
Your kids fully understand why you have the shotgun and know not to touch it. You have gone over this several times.
Today that decision to keep your shotgun within easy reach is going to save your life. And it's about to end a streak of violent crime that's had the neighborhood on edge and afraid for the next attack.
Types of shotguns
- Double-Barrel: There are two variations: over-under, which is where the barrels are in vertical alignment, and side-by-side, where the two barrels are aligned side by side. A double-barrel shotgun, especially an over-under, far exceeds other types of shotguns in terms of reliability, which makes it a good choice if you are preparing for the long haul where maintenance supplies may run scarce.
- Pump-Action: Many people prefer pump-action shotguns over semi-autos because they are simpler machines. Thus, they encounter fewer problems when firing. When mechanical reliability could be the difference between life and death, many people choose the pump-action.
- Semiautomatic: This is the best weapon to have in a self-defense scenario because of of its ammo capacity and high firing rate, says The Well Armed Woman. If you are going to add a semiautomatic shotgun to your survival arsenal, make sure you pack plenty of supplies, such as springs, gas pistons and o-rings.
What about shotgun recoil?As detailed in shotguns, the best felon killing home defense tool ever made, a 12 gauge shotgun is known for having a lot of recoil, and that can make people hesitant sometimes to pull the trigger, when it needs to be pulled in that moment of danger.
If you would prefer to avoid the recoil, and still have criminal stopping power for home defense, you can go with a 20 gauge shotgun, even one built for a small statured person or teen. Sure, it's physical dimensions may be smaller, but that smaller size is still plenty big enough for defending your home in a break-in.
One other plus about a smaller size shotgun: You can maneuver your gun into position a split-second faster than a larger, heavier gun. Inside a room or along a narrow hallway, you have more ease of handling as well, than a larger shotgun.
Why a shotgun is a good choice for home defense
- Power and Dependability: A shotgun packs more power than than almost any other weapon at close range. Couple this with the shotgun's long track record of performance and reliability, and you have a survivalists' staple. Shotguns have been used by law enforcement for more than 100 years.
- Ammo for every situation: Shotguns boast some of the most versatile ammo. Shotguns can fire anything from non-lethal bean bags to bird shot, which can be used to hit a large area, says LearnAboutGuns.
- Availability: In a catastrophic event, shotgun ammunition will be more available when compared to other kinds of ammunition. This will also be beneficial for the long-term, since you never know when, if ever, ammunition will become available again.
- Ease of Maintenance: Shotguns are easy to clean and maintain. You can clean a pump shotgun with commercial or improvised supplies. To clean your gun all you need to do is to put an obstruction remover, such as a squeegee, down one end of the barrel, and pull it through to the other side. This will remove larger particles from the barrel, and you can also use a cleaning solvent, such as Windex, to clean the barrel even more.
- Modular: Shotguns can be improvised to meet your needs. You can swap a short barrel with a long game barrel when necessary, then switch back if you feel you might need to use it in close quarters. You can also change from decorative wood to a synthetic material to reduce weight. The possibilities are endless, which is a good thing if you need the ability to adapt to any situation.
Beyond the BasicsIt can be easy to overlook important supplies when you think of stocking up. For instance, each O-ring is important to the functionality of your shotgun because it directs gas toward the operating rod, which completes the cycle of your weapon. There are a variety of O-ring sizes out there for shotguns, and it is important you stock up with enough supplies to last.
You know what's on the line and why you need to be prepared for any emergency situation. Teach your wife and children a protocol to follow in these situations and the importance of staying calm. You may have the sheep dog mentality required for protection and preparedness, but your family's ability to react appropriately can make the difference between life and death.
When all is said and done, you cannot put a price on proper preparation. A shotgun will not be the only weapon in your survival toolkit, but it is a staple that can be adapted to suit your needs. The shotgun is a cost-effective tool that boasts power, strength and reliability, making it the ultimate tool for any survival scenario.
Are You Prepared for a Worst Case Scenario?Sign Up for our free email newsletter packed with survival tips and tips on preparing for widespread disaster. Topics covered include survival foods, martial law, government collapse, living off the land, self defense, survival hunting, survival fishing, and MORE...
How to Survive Total Social Collapse